I Make Things
- Well, I'd much rather focus on something positive. Happy early Mother's Day, tweeple! Hope you spend the day cherishing moms! tweeted 1 week ago
- What a disappointment. Poor huz tried to treat me to a nice dinner. :( tweeted 1 week ago
- So @TheLanghamHotel, @LanghamPasadena is a disaster this evening. Awful service, understaffed, threw away our take-home bags, dessert MIA. tweeted 1 week ago
- You have a wedding & a charity event & if u can't adequately staff then you are not the excellent hotel I thought you were @LanghamPasadena tweeted 1 week ago
- I live nearby & usually have a great experience but this 2 hour dinner @LanghamPasadena is awful. So much for pre-Mother's Day celebration. tweeted 1 week ago
We Must. We Must.
- Ah, the annual picking of the jack o’lantern! #halloween
- Downtown #LA from the Hollywood Hillls
- At the new Dinosaur Hall exhibit in LA’s Museum of Natural History. We just got back from digging for dinosaur bones in a quarry in western CO, just like the videos shown here of quarry digs.
- Quick reflexes capture the #OscarMayer #Weinermobile. Yes, that’s huz ducking so I can get the shot. #fb
- Wolf Creek Canyon. Geologic time revealed. #fb
Personal FavesPregnancy: It's Been a Long Time
Gruppie Parenting Silliness: Oh. My. God. Guilty as Charged.
Work/Life Balance: Away for an 8 Day Shoot
Glamorous (Ahem) Indie Filmmaking: 4 Provinces in 7 Days
Toy Gripes: I Hate Thomas the Tank Engine
Roots: I Sent My Parents Straight Into the Jaws of a Cult
Shoots: The Boy's Got Game Midday Cat Report: Missy Diva's Animalectomy, Feline Horror Show
- Scott Peterson, Alleged Murderer of Laci
- Ten Damn Foine Asian Men
- My Cat is Sexually Harassing Me. Make Her Stop.
- Annoying Dog People
- Persepolis, the Book and Movie, and Marjane Satrapi
- Waiting For Superman: A Review Essay
- Kiss of The Scorpion Woman
- A Confession: I'm Bi
- Acoustic Covers or Strange Arrangements
- 400 Hundred Years in a Convent, 50 Years in Hollyw...
May 2013 S M T W T F S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- asian america awwwww dept of input dept of output dept of peace docu-drama eat Election '08 gastrokid hollywood kidstuff LA LA Moms Blog listen lists macademia nuts mamalytical midday cat report minefield MOMocrats muses page rant roots screen shoots snark tell me something good Uncategorized Wordless Wednesday
Category Archives: snark
A generation ago, Chinese parents would’ve bragged to one another over mah jongg games about how little Harvard can play Rachmaninoff. Single-handedly. After just one year of Suzuki piano. At the age of 4.
Ever the competitive spirit among parents reigns. It’s no longer just a Chinese thing. Here’s how we do it new school: my kid’s musical taste is more sophisticated/hipper/eclectic than thou.
And yet, I’m just as guilty. It is a point of pride that my son knows the words to and can sing a cappella Jon Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer.”
I’ve fulminated about Humvees here before. Back in 2003, I believe it was.
As symbol of the worst Republican/right-wing hubris, corruption, and in-your-face Fuck You to the global climate crisis, it was hard to stomach the sight of these cars on the road all over Los Angeles.
Each one may as well have had a little “W” sticker on the rear window. Many did.
Okay, whatever my insecurities about Blogher ’08, I’m ready to rage against one small-dicked guy named Robert Stacy McCain who basically snarked and made fun of blogs by women and by extension the entire women’s blogosphere. A somewhat shallow NYT article is what gave him his opening. (Response from the NYT to criticism here.)
Robert Stacy McCain Diagnosis: Small Penis disease. Prognosis: equally shrunken brain, with ever-enlarging asshole. Treatment: smackdown by the very bloggers he disdains.
Not only did he dismiss Queen of Spain’s critique of the NYT article on Blogher (which got it moved from Fashion & Style to the Technology section), he made fun of and belittled what a lot of women write about: fashion, relationships, pets, and children. He pissed all over “mommyblogging” and said it was trivial, and HE DID SO IN THE MOST SUPERFICIAL, CONTENT-FREE WAY POSSIBLE. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Shit-stir much, “The Other McCain”? Need a little traffic boost of your own, by hijacking a sexy topic that you know will get you a lot of hate mail? (Sadly, it also seems to have gotten a lot of virtual high-fives from fellow cro-magnon men.) I’d say that case of Small Penis Syndrome is kinda terminal. As is the permanent Big Asshole condition he’s got going there.
It turns out he’s not only misogynist, Robert Stacy McCain thinks the lynching of Emmett Till (an adolescent black child who was chased down and hanged by a white mob for reportedly whistling at a white woman) was “not a public crime, but a private crime.” No, stupid, it was a crime no matter how you look at it and his murderers were criminals no matter how you look at them. Clearly has some issues with race as well, this “Other McCain.” (I can’t decide who makes who look worse, the senator or his namesake?)
So, misogynist and racist, all rolled into one. What a package.
ETA: the big orange planet of progressive netroots peeps, DailyKos, had a diary that also weighed in on the NYT article here. I was heartened to see the roll call of powerful, smart, forceful women who are respected in the political blogosphere in the diary’s comments and the diary itself.
And of course Digby, one of the aforementioned Powerful Blogger Ladies of political blogging, weighed in on the NYT article here.
For these last two and Atrios, H/T to Deb over whom I obsess at i-obsess.
Today is the first day a new law takes effect: it’s illegal to talk on the phone while driving in the state of California, unless you use a handsfree device such as a Bluetooth-enabled car/phone, or an earpiece.
And that will help prevent many an accident when driving through the San Gabriel Valley and you spot the escaped chimpanzee Moe and call the authorities to say, “Stop that monkey!”
This past weekend we went camping. We stayed in a lovely little knotty pine cabin (veneer! pasted to plywood! but still very charming) with a loft where the Unreliable Narrator slept above the main sleeping area on the first level where we were.
Last night a loud scrabbling CHEWING sound emanated from between the walls not far from our bed. Think 2x4s slowly being fed through the sharpened maw of a nocturnal animal.
It woke me. Twice.
The second time, HB got out of bed and went to the corner near where the canted roof met the wall.
He did something completely unexpected–so unusual it woke me completely up. He knocked a few times on the wall with his knuckles: rap rap rap. The LOUD GNAWING and rustling continued. He stepped outside and flashed the beam of his light around over the porch and into the eaves.
The new nickname I have for Obama: Spockbama. Fascinating. Donna Brazile poops rainbows and cries unicorns, as far as I’m concerned. She probably walks on water too–minor feat after the first two, wouldn’t you say? Obama on Education. Because sometimes … Continue reading
Maybe it takes the demented, sleep-deprived mind of a parent to cross memes where no memes should be crossing…but someone else besides me noticed that Barack Obama and construction dude and kiddie character Bob the Builder share a cheery, uplifting tagline: “Yes We Can!”
Or in Bob the Builder’s case, “Can we fix it? Yes, we can!”
I mean, I figure Bob would probably vote for Obama on the solar-powered sunflower farm ticket, given that you can use the seeds, stems, and flowers for all sorts of sustainable products. If only Bob were a U.S. citizen.
Tune up your casiotones, ladies and gentlemen, and check this out: